Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Four Way Stop Mentality

I was on my way to class the other day when I pulled up to one of the many four way stops that are on our campus. This particular intersection was located on the corner of Paris Yates Chapel and the tennis courts. As I pulled to a complete stop the truck to my right proceeded through the intersection. The blue prism to its immediate right began to pull out on his turn determined by the time when he pulled up relative to the other cars. As the car began to inch forward for the first couple feet (which signifies that yes it is my turn and I am pulling out this usually discourages impatient drivers form going out of turn) A nice looking Cadillac who had just appeared on the scene without even the tap of a brake light went right on through leaving the blue prism in his dust.
Now this situation is my pet peeve and this was one of the more blatant times I had seen this. The driver of the Cadillac didn’t not only go out of turn but never even entertained the idea of stopping and waiting. I can only imagine what was going through his mind (look there’s an opening they’ll never know what hit them as he then probably convinces himself to yes go for it) or the driver didn‘t have any idea what he was doing. Meanwhile here I am sitting in my car bewildered that the driver had the audacity to think they are above the rules of the four way stop. Which are: A FOUR-WAY STOP sign means that there are four stop signs at this intersection. Traffic from all four directions must stop. The first vehicle to reach the intersection should move forward first. If two vehicles reach the intersection at the same time, the driver on the left yields to the driver on the right.*
So I decided to address this since it seems that it happens nearly ever time you are at a three or four way stop. Some rogue driver is determined to oust you and go through what is supposed to be an rotation with rules. This occurs more frequently on the college campuses. Reasons being there are more opportunities since there are no traffic lights within the campus which of course is regulated by stop signs. And the fact that your dealing with college students whom the first thought is not how much there already paying for insurance let alone anything happen.
Back to the guy in the Cadillac though. What is the reason for a driver disregarding the other drivers and simply going when they feel like it. Were all guilty and even though I hate it I still do it sometimes. The large part is that the driver is in his or her car. There won’t be a confrontation of course unless he hits the person who is “suppose” to be going. So they feel that they are really getting away with it which they are. Or you have the oblivious driver the one who is texting or talking while shuffling their ipod and eating a five course meal and just doesn’t know what order they arrived and thinks there “suppose” to go which is possibly worse. I would rather have someone who has made up their mind that I have to get to class and I think that by cutting all these people off I will save all 15 seconds, so I will make sure that I can go and just do it. Than the I’m not sure who’s turn it is, so I’ll just start going and see if anyone else goes. Which usually ends up with about three failed attempts then you all sit there because you have confused everyone at the stop and finally after about a minute someone goes usually it being the correct person to begin with. Now this approach is different that they “inch forward” that I described earlier. The slow inch which everyone identifies with, secures that your going, if not now usually next and does not look like you’re a race car revving up your engine off the line waiting for the flag to drop.
So what is the root of my pet peeve is it self motivated reasons or simply circumstances. I can’t be sure, all I know is I sure did get a laugh seeing the driver of the prism give their regards to the gentleman in the Cadillac.


* (Pa.) Department of Transportation Driver and Vehicle Services, Pennsylvania Driver’s Manual, English Ed. (Pub. #95, May 2000), 10.
*commentary Lionel E. Deimel The Four Way stop.11/29/01

No comments: